Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 4 (Fri, 15 Feb)


Day 4 (Fri, 15 Feb)

I rode from Ehrenberg, AZ to Salome, AZ today.  A shorter ride of 56 miles, which was helpful/intended after a pretty long and rough ride yesterday.  I rode 30 of those miles on I-10.  This is legal in some parts of the west where there is no practical alternative for cyclists (I had double checked this with the AZ State Patrol last week).  I just needed to keep my speed under 75 mph J  The interstate was a fairly smooth ride with 2 long climbs and descents over smaller mountain ranges.  I then rode on US-60 for the final 26 miles into Salome.  Overall, another gorgeous day with lot’s of sun, temps in the 70s and only minor crosswinds.  I took my time and enjoyed the views and the ride today.

In the pictures below you’ll see some of the sites from I-10 (I think this will be the only time I’ll be on an Interstate during the ride), landscape and I’m starting to see more cactus as well (there weren’t many/any in SW CA).  Also a 9/11 memorial in Salome, AZ with a piece of I-beam from one of the Twin Towers.  I’m about 70 miles now from the outer edges of western Phoenix.

I started a list of “notable items” in my head today – thought I’d share some of this with everyone:

1. How many burnt out locations for car/truck engine fires did I see headed East along 30 miles of I-10 today: 24!! 
a. That was a huge number and I’m not sure why I started counting them other than when I came up to them I needed to be extra careful with my tires to avoid debris. 
b. This has to be well above average.  I bet there are a lot of cars that come over from the L.A. area that have not seen the heat, workout to get up the mountains nor the oxygen (!) that AZ has and many of them ignite (those would be all of the ingredients). 

2. How many golden eagles seen thus far: 1

3. How many rattle snakes seen thus far (dead or alive): 0
a.     Surprising – thought I’d see some by now

4. Favorite road type: US highways (2nd: interstate; last: the CA highway I was on yesterday…)

5. If you walk up to a cyclist who says he/she is riding cross-country, how do you tell which way they’re going (east or west)????  Answer: Which side of their face is sun burned?? (and figure it out from there…)

6. Coolest military jets so far: Blue Angels (I’m intending for the USAF to replace this item in N.M. but the Navy has it so far!)

7. Number of states: 2

8. Favorite Gatorade: Purple (2 parts Blue and 1 part Red – shaken, not stirred).

9. What’s a “cyclists tattoo”?: Cog shaped grease stains on your legs (typically obtained when changing a tire on the side of the road)









No comments:

Post a Comment