Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 2 (Wed, 13 Feb)

Day 2 (Wed, 13 Feb)

Today I rode from Julian, CA to Brawley, CA.  Basically going from a Mountain resort area (whose specialty appears to be Pie, although I didn't buy any) right into the desert of CA.  Overall, a really pleasant ride that started with about a 2k ft drop over 7 miles or so, then more downhill in the desert but at a more gradual negative grade (perhaps another 2k drop over about 30 miles) and then more or less flat for the rest of the ride.  Pretty desert and mountain scenery for 30-40 miles where I saw only about 1 car every 10 min or so.  I actually saw two cyclists (my first thus far) going up the mountain.  Then for the last 25 miles or so I was on a highway that was busier with truck traffic that must be going back and forth from the Palm Springs area north of here to the Brawley/El Centro area - both of which have quite a bit of agriculture, presumably watered in some way from the Salton Sea.  But no issues - huge breakdown lane to ride in (about the width of a full MA road :-) ).

I'm at about -250 ft elevation tonight in Brawley.  I think the lowest elevation I've ever been at.

Once I got down off the top of the mountain the weather was very nice - beautiful day for a ride.  Completely sunny (glad I brought some sunscreen) and 60-75F the whole day.  Finally was able to take off my long cycling pants, which felt nice.  Pictures below, in line with the day - plenty of brown scenery!  In some of the later pictures you can just see the Salton Sea in the distance.




















1 comment:

  1. Sweet downhill right out of Julian. Beautiful desert scenery too!

    ReplyDelete