Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 1 (Tues, 12 Feb)

Day 1 (Tues, 12 Feb)

Beautiful day today in southern CA.  Cooler than normal for the area with some snow that had just fallen 2 days ago in Julian, but overall nice 40-50F temps all day.  This was a big climbing day - sea level to 4200 ft at Julian with some ups/downs along the way for a total of 6030 ft climbed.  By far the most I've ever done but I am glad that I've climbed a bit in the San Jose area over the past few years - similar hills there that gave me some comfort that I could make this ride today.

Overall the gear/bike all worked really well.  Kudos to my bike shop (http://www.goodalesbikeshop.com) in Nashua, NH - they made some excellent recommendations and changes to the gearing of my bike and other changes on the wheels and derailleur that made a huge difference on a day like today.  For those in the Boston area - I recommend you check them out.

The ride was about 55 miles from La Jolla, CA to Julian, CA today.

I'm staying at the Julian Hotel tonight.  Its 100+ yrs old from the later stages of the Gold Rush days and is awesome - probably the best hotel I'll stay at on the whole trip.  And yes, that is snow on the road in front of the hotel!  (pretty much the roads are clear here, so no issues riding so far).

Pictures in sequence below.














1 comment:

  1. Great job! I did Del Mar to Julian on my first bike tour. It kicked my ass. I was so out of shape and didn't realize all the elevation I'd encounter.

    ReplyDelete