Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 10 (Fri, 22 Feb)

I rode from Lordsburg, NM to Deming, NM.  I crossed the Continental Divide about halfway into the ride at 4,585 ft (although this was basically just a high point on the southern New Mexico plains)!  The ride was 64 miles with only minor climbing.  The ride was 40 miles on I-10 (the only practical road to take in the area, so it is legal and actually pretty safe – just a lot of road junk to dodge along the interstates…) and also on some County Highways.   The wind was light in the morning and then picked up in the afternoon – a tailwind of at least 20 mph – I was able to really crank up the speeds with the final half of the ride mainly in the range of 22 to 26 mph and an overall average of 19.8 mpg.  Easily my fastest 60 mile ride ever.  Temperatures throughout the day stayed pretty cool – primarily in the 40s and quite sunny all day.

Flat tire #2 today (small piece of copper wire - from truck tire retreads, I believe)...

689 miles achieved to-date on the trip!

In the pictures below: 1) trains moving along I-10, 2) Continental Divide, 3) general pictures of the landscape in southern New Mexico – beautiful open plains many of which are used for open range cattle grazing, with mountains in the distance, 4) US and New Mexico flag to give you a sense of the wind (I was heading left as is shown in this picture – luckily!).

Finally, I've included a US map with a rough outline of the planned course I have across the country and then a Star for where I currently am located (will try to update this along the way and re-post).

Probably everyone knows this, but if you double click on any of the images you can open them up in a larger view.














No comments:

Post a Comment